Title and statement of responsibility area
Embroidered Badge of the 27th City of Winnipeg Battalion
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title supplied from file contents
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
ca. 1918 (Creation)
- Clark, Herbert H.
- Winnipeg (Man.). City Clerk's Department. Archives and Records Control Branch
Physical description area
1 object : embroidery, framed
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Name of creator
Winnipeg was established as a city in 1874 and began creating records immediately, but it did not have a city archives until 1978. Many of the surrounding municipalities that were later amalgamated into Unicity in 1972 were in a very similar situation, and their surviving records have now become part of the Winnipeg City Archives' holdings. The building at 380 William, the old Carnegie Library, was set aside for storage of records and archives. Since its formation, the Archives and Records Control Branch has been responsible for managing records in storage, developing records management policy and practice, and facilitating research access to the City’s archival collection.
The required enabling bylaw for the records and archives provisions of the City of Winnipeg Act was passed in 1996, and the Records Committee was created and first met in June 1997.
See Terry Cook, "In the Public Trust: A Strategic Plan for the Archives and Records Management Services in the City of Winnipeg," (November 29, 1999).
Gifted to the City of Winnipeg by the creator Herbert H. Clark in 1960.
Scope and content
Consists of an embroidered badge of the 27th City of Winnipeg Battalion with embroidered text referencing names of battles - "Ypres", "St. Eloi", "Courcelette", "Vimy", "Fresnoy", "Lens", "Arras", "Paschendaele" [Passchendaele], "Cambrai", and "Amiens". This piece is encased in a frame that also contains two triangular embroideries that display the years of the start and end of the First World War, 1914 and 1918.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
There no restrictions on use. The City of Winnipeg Archives asks to be credited if being used for publication.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
digital objects metadata