Title and statement of responsibility area
Rural Municipality of Charleswood
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Charleswood (Man.)
Physical description area
25.395 m. Textual Records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Rural Municipality of Charleswood was incorporated in 1913 when the community on the south side of the Assiniboine River chose to separate from the Municipality of Assiniboia. The RM included those portions of the Parishes of Headingley and St. Charles that lay south of the river, but excluded any property belonging to the Town of Tuxedo or City of Winnipeg. According to the Charleswood Historical Society, Charleswood was either named after the councilman Charles Kelly or the Parish of St. Charles and the nearby woodlands. An Act to Amend "The Municipal Boundaries Act" officially created the RM. This piece of provincial legislation came into force on February 15, 1913. George Chapman became the first Reeve shortly thereafter.
Councils consisted of a Reeve or Mayor and four Councillors. The functional responsibilities of the RM of Charleswood were defined in versions of The Municipal Act and would later change in 1960 with the creation of the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg. At one time, the municipal office would have included the following positions: City Clerk, Treasurer, Superintendent of Public Works, Municipal Accountant, Chief Constable, Fire Chief, Shop Foreman, Draughtsman, and Welfare Officer. The law firm Lawrence & Sansome was routinely hired as solicitors and Templeton Engineering served as consultants for many years. In addition to Council, the municipal government included the Town Planning Committee, Public Works Committee, and Charleswood Voluntary Fire Brigade. It was part of the St. James-St. Vital-Fort Garry-Charleswood-Assiniboia-Tuxedo Health Unit.
Charleswood was a predominantly rural area supported by agricultural production, dairy and poultry farms, and mink ranches. Following the Second World War, there was a marked increase in population and an expansion of residential areas. One development that dates from this time was a settlement for ex-servicemen called Roblin Park, a project made possible by the Veteran’s Land Act. The growth of Charleswood into “the Suburb Beautiful” was accompanied by the increase and diversification of local services and businesses. The municipal government mirrored these changes and constructed the first Municipal Civic Centre in 1965.
The RM of Charleswood ceased to exist in 1972, when Chapter 105 of the Statutes of Manitoba came into force unifying twelve area municipalities and the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg into one city government. Following amalgamation, Charleswood Park was created as part of the new municipal structure.
Records were presented to the City of Winnipeg Archives between 1979 and 1985.
Scope and content
The records consist of 14 series:
Series 16: Election Records, 1928-1969
Series 85: Minutes, 1913-1971
Series 86: By-Laws, 1913-1971
Series 87: Agreements, 1913-1973
Series 88: Development Agreements, 1956-1975
Series 89: Early Communications and Agreements, 1913-1966
Series 90: Financial Records, 1913-1971
Series 91: Assessment and Taxation Records, 1913-1971
Series 92: Subject Files, 1938-1972 (Access Restrictions)
Series 93: Photographs, 1961-1971
Series 94: Municipal Aid Records, 1934-1973 (Access Restrictions)
Series 95: Town Planning Files, 1947-1972
Series 96: Public Works and Local Improvements Files, 1941-1974
Series 97: Applications for Building Permits, 1948-1961 (Access Restrictions)
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are restrictions on access to some of these records. Access restrictions are identified in Series descriptions.
Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File Lists available.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier