Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Winnipeg Aqueduct


Water from Shoal Lake first reached the McPhillips Reservoir in Winnipeg on March 29, 1919 and made it to people's taps on April 5. During a visit to Winnipeg later that year, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales formally opened the aqueduct at City Hall on September 9. Prior to its completion, Winnipeg experienced outbreaks of typhoid and a range of other issues linked to the local water supply. After a series of studies, officials decided that using water from Shoal Lake was the preferred solution. To access the lake, the City of Winnipeg and the Greater Winnipeg Water District worked with the Department of Indian Affairs to acquire sections of Shoal Lake 40 First Nation reserve land. For more about the history of the aqueduct, see the Greater Winnipeg Water District and William Smaill descriptions.

All Photos | Greater Winnipeg Water District Records | William Smaill Photo Album