Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Series s00016 - Playgrounds Commission

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Playgrounds Commission

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

s00016

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1908 - 1919 (Creation)
    Creator
    Winnipeg (Man.). Playgrounds Commission

Physical description area

Physical description

7 cm. Textual Records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The first public playground in Winnipeg was opened in 1908 by the Committee on Public Playgrounds for Winnipeg, the members of which had been appointed at a citizens meeting on May 28, 1908: Mrs. J. Dick, Mrs. Dr. Sparling, J. Dyson, J. S. Woodsworth, J. W. McMillan, John Appleton, H. R. Hadcock, E. L. Drewry and H. E. Wilson. This committee solicited private funds for a demonstration project to be operated in conjunction with the Mother's Association through the summer of that year. By the fall of 1908, the Committee on Public Playgrounds for Winnipeg had become the Playgrounds Association of the City of Winnipeg, reflecting a broad trend in North America and their connection with the American Playgrounds Association. In 1909, the Association met with the City of Winnipeg's Board of Control to propose creation of a commission to manage a system of playgrounds for the city. The Board of Control supported the proposal and the Playgrounds Commission was organized in 1909 under By-Law 5557 with an appropriation of $4000. The Playgrounds Commission managed playgrounds until 1919 when its powers were transferred to the Public Parks Board through By-Law 9835.

Custodial history

City Clerk's Department.

Scope and content

Forms part of Fonds 1. Series consists of minutes and financial records of the Committee on Public Playgrounds for Winnipeg, the Playgrounds Association of the City of Winnipeg and the Playgrounds Commission as well as minutes for various special or sub-committees formed to undertake specific tasks. The minutes are in chronological order.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access to these records. Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available in Research Room.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Related groups of records within the same fonds:
Council, Minutes
Council, By-Laws
Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation.

Alternative identifier(s)

Legacy Reference Code

f0001-0033

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

cowa

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres