Photograph taken of a sketch by an unknown artist of Upper Fort Garry. In addition to the fort, soldiers in formation are featured, as are canoes and Indigenous peoples across the Assinibone River. The photograph's reverse side credits it to J. Penrose Photo Studio.
Photograph of a muddy Main Street in 1871, facing northeast to from around St. Mary Avenue. Featured on the photograph's right-hand side is Grace Methodist Church, located at Main Street and Water Avenue (now William Stephenson Way), which was opened on September 17 of that year.
Collection consists of photographs and related records created by a wide variety of sources and collected by the City of Winnipeg Archives and Records Control Branch. The photographs were originally collected as part of a proposed Winnipeg museum; further records were added to the collection after being transferred from various City of Winnipeg departments or received as unsolicited donations from the public. The photographs depict municipal government activities and infrastructure, geographical features, business and personal activities. In addition to municipal governments, creators of the photographs include professional photographers, private individuals and various publishers.