Title and statement of responsibility area
South Winnipeg (1923) Limited
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- South Winnipeg (1923) Limited
Physical description area
8 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
South Winnipeg Limited was incorporated in Manitoba shortly after 1911 as a result of an agreement signed by Tuxedo Estates Limited, Tuxedo Park Company Limited, Kenaston Realty Company Limited and Warner Land Company Limited in 1911. The principals and major investors in these companies were Frederick W. Heubach and David Finkelstein of Winnipeg, E. C. Kenaston of Hopkins, Minnesota (president of American-Abel Engine and Thresher Company), E. C. Warner of Minneapolis (president of Midland Linseed Oil Company), G. F. Piper of Minneapolis (Piper and Co. Wholesale Grain Merchants), Walter D. Douglas of Cedar Rapids, Iowa (president of American Cereal Co.). South Winnipeg Limited was incorporated for the purpose of amalgamating various properties in and around Tuxedo, with plans to develop and sell this land for industrial and residential purposes. The company was reorganized in 1923 as South Winnipeg (1923) Limited and continued to buy and sell land. It was sold circa 1950 to Sir Denys Lowson, Lord Mayor of London. After Lowson’s death, the company was purchased by a Winnipeg firm.
The records were transferred to the City of Winnipeg Archives by the Archives of Manitoba. They had been offered to the Archives of Manitoba by Michael Rattray, a Winnipeg architect, whose father had been an agent for South Winnipeg (1923) Limited and purchased the company circa 1980.
Scope and content
The records consist of correspondence, financial records, meeting minutes, annual reports and balance sheets, and legal agreements documenting the sale of land in and around the Town of Tuxedo from 1905 to 1956.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to these records. Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available in Research Room.
Town of Tuxedo fonds
Tuxedo Park Company, Limited fonds
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier