Title and statement of responsibility area
Town of Tuxedo
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Tuxedo (Man.)
Physical description area
12.96 m of textual records and other material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The former Town of Tuxedo began as a real estate venture when Frederick William Huebach identified the area for development and founded the Tuxedo Park Company Limited in 1905. The original Town Plan for Tuxedo was designed by landscape architect Rickson A. Outhet of Montreal in 1905. The Outhet plan was never implemented. In 1910, after acquiring additional land, Heubach commissioned the Olmsted brothers (sons of landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, who designed Central Park in New York City) to create a new plan for Tuxedo. On January 24, 1913, the Tuxedo Park Company Limited incorporated the Town of Tuxedo and Heubach became its first Mayor.
The Town of Tuxedo Council consisted of a mayor and four councilors. The Town managed its own police and fire departments and the Tuxedo Public Recreation Commission. It was part of the St. James-St. Vital-Fort Garry-Charlewood-Assiniboia-Tuxedo Health Unit. There were three public schools located within the Town, managed by the Assiniboine South School Division No. 3.
The Town of Tuxedo ceased to exist in 1972, when Chapter 105 of the Statutes of Manitoba came into force unifying twelve area municipalities and the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg into one city government.
The records were transferred to the City of Winnipeg Archives in 1979.
Scope and content
The records consist of 8 series:
Series 23: Minutes, 1913-1971
Series 55: By-Laws, 1913-1971
Series 46: Financial Statements, 1914-1971
Series 12: Election Records, 1913-1969
Series 52: General Correspondence
Series 53: General Files, 1962-1971
Series 57: Building Plans, 1920-1960 (Access Restrictions)
Series 136: Financial Ledgers, 1911-1969
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are restrictions on access to some of these records. Access restrictions are identified on Series descriptions.
Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File lists available in Research Room.
South Winnipeg (1923) Limited fonds
Tuxedo Park Company, Limited fonds
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier