Title and statement of responsibility area
Agreements and Early Documents
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1911-1971, 1973 (Creation)
- St. Vital (Man.)
Physical description area
98.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Rural Municipality and City of St. Vital dates to 1880 when the RM of St. Boniface was incorporated. After the Town of St. Boniface was formed in 1883, the RM of St. Boniface continued to operate as its own government and in 1903 changed its name to St. Vital to avoid confusion. The name likely derives from one of the earliest schools in the area built by Bishop Taché and named after his coadjutor Bishop Vital Grandin. The municipality experienced a series of boundary changes beginning in 1891 when it was reduced to the east and extended in the west and south. Further alterations were made in 1912 when the community on the west side of the Red River separated to form the RM of Fort Garry, and then in 1914, when a large tract of land was annexed to the City of St. Boniface and land annexed from the RM of Ritchot. It was bounded on the west and east by the Red and Seine Rivers, Carriere Avenue on the north and Grande Pointe on the south. It included parts of the Parishes of St. Boniface, St. Vital, and St. Norbert. In 1960, St. Vital became part of the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg. With the passing of An Act to provide a Charter for the City of St. Vital, it achieved city status on June 9, 1962.
Councils consisted of a Reeve or Mayor and, in most instances, six councillors. The municipality derived authority from provincial legislation and was subject to the provisions of The Municipal Act, The Metropolitan Winnipeg Act and The Greater Winnipeg Gas Distribution Act. It briefly lost its mandate to govern between 1925 and 1927 when the Winnipeg Suburban Municipal Board stepped in due to financial difficulties. Standing committees and delegations changed from year to year in response to municipal growth. Council members notably participated in the St. Vital Advisory Planning Commission, St. Vital Library Board, and St. Vital Parks Board. Departments within the municipality included Administration, Public Works, Police and Fire. In 1952, Police and Fire went from being one department into two. Shortly after St. Vital became a city in 1962, the position of Secretary-Treasurer was split into City Clerk and City Treasurer.
The City of St. Vital ceased to exist in 1972, when Chapter 105 of the Statutes of Manitoba came into force unifying twelve area municipalities and the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg into one city government. Following amalgamation, the Community of St. Vital was created as part of the new municipal structure.
Scope and content
Forms part of Fonds 10. Series consists of agreements (originals and copies) and some of the earliest surviving documents belonging to the Rural Municipality and City of St. Vital. Agreements document various transactions with individuals, local clubs, companies, and other entities such as the City of Winnipeg. Common records include easement and lease agreements, employment and service contracts, and documents pertaining to public works or the regulation of municipal affairs. Many contracts and agreements have supporting documents (oaths, by-laws, schedules, etc.) and related correspondence. Early documents include copies of provincial legislation and correspondence. Caveats, notices of caveats as well as requests and approvals for sewer and water connections also appear in this series.
Most agreements and early documents filed individually according to chronological order. Various small contracts and related agreements appear together. Files may contain both documents and their original sleeves, but most documents – especially in later years – did not have any containers or labels.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to these records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.
A file list is available in the Archives Research Room.
No further accruals are expected.
Related groups of records within the same fonds: Series does not consist of all surviving agreements for St. Vital. More agreements can be found in other series, particularly Subject Files, Departmental Files, Municipal Solicitor Files, Parks Board Files, and City Treasurer Files.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier