Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Boniface (Man.)
Physical description area
5.8 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Though its history goes back much further, it wasn't until 1880 that St. Boniface was incorporated as a municipality - after a provincial law made incorporation mandatory. It was reclassified as a town in 1883 and reincorporated as a city in 1908, at which point it was the fifth largest city in Western Canada. Though St. Boniface was and continues to be the home of the largest French community in Western Canada, almost all official correspondence was conducted in English by the end of the First World War. St. Boniface developed as an industrial community, due in part to the presence of multiple rail lines. Industries like meat packing and construction brought workers to the city's eastern edge and companies like Shell, CN, CP, Ladco, and Canada Packers were big employers. In an effort to streamline municipal government, the City of St. Boniface joined eleven other municipalities in amalgamating with the City of Winnipeg in 1972.
City Clerk's Department.
Scope and content
Forms part of Fonds 12. Series consists of minutes for the Council of the Municipalite de St-Boniface, the Town of St. Boniface and the Ville de St-Boniface and/or City of St. Boniface. In addition to Council business, the minutes contain minutes and/or reports of committees created by Council (i.e. Committee on City Property, Finance Committee, Wood Purchasing Committee, Health and License Committee, Fire Committee, etc.).
The minutes begin in 1880 when St. Boniface was incorporated as a municipality. In 1893, St. Boniface was reclassified as a town and the minutes refer to the Ville de St-Boniface. Following incorporation as a City in 1908, the minutes continue to reference the Ville de St-Boniface in French and later the City of St. Boniface in English. Minutes are recorded in French until 1907. In 1908, minutes appear to have been recorded in French, with an English translation. Eventually, the French version contained very little French, with the bulk of minutes recorded in English even though a second copy was designated as the English Version. Both versions were retained.
In 1917, a monthly alphabetical index preceded the minutes for each month. The practice continued until 1932. In 1932, separate index volumes were created with subject matter organized alphabetically and page numbers provided for associated minutes numbers (minutes are first numbered in 1932).
Most of the minutes and indexes were originally filed in large binders. Where possible, they have been removed from bindings and rehoused in file folders to facilitate access. Council Minutes were filed chronologically and this arrangement has been maintained. The series is complete.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to these records. Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available in Research Room.
No further accruals are expected.