Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Subseries s00107 - Scrapbook A

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Scrapbook A

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

1 vol. (ca. 400 clippings, 17 photographs)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Building inspection was included as one of the duties of the City Engineer when responsibilities for this position were formalized by by-law in 1899. Since then, the City of Winnipeg has required all persons proposing to construct a new building or significantly renovate an existing building, to apply for a permit authorizing the work. As part of the permit application process, builders were required to submit 'drawings in blue or white print to scale, fully dimensioned, accurately figured, explicit and complete.'

Custodial history

Scope and content

Subseries consists of a scrapbook assembled by the City Engineering Department to document the 1948 flood and 1950 flood. It primarily contains clippings from newspapers like the Winnipeg Free Press and Winnipeg Tribune. Series also includes black and white photographs taken during the 1948 flood that show flooded areas by the Red River (e.g. Mill Street, Lombard Street, Arnold Avenue dyke, Elm Park Bridge, and St. Andrews Locks).

Newspaper coverage of the 1950 flood starts in Scrapbook A (April 4, 1950 to May 9, 1950) and continues in Scrapbook B (May 9, 1950 to August 16, 1950).

Notes area

Physical condition

Mostly good. Photographs discoloured by tape and starting to fall out of scrapbook.

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access to these records. Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids


Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Legacy Reference Code


Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier


Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres