Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Subseries s00085 - Water Works Department Scrapbook

J. W. Swan L. E. Fenton D. W. (Bud) Steuart [Water Works employee] [Water Works employees]

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Water Works Department Scrapbook

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Subseries

Reference code

s00085

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1916]-1932, 1946-1947 (Creation)
    Creator
    Winnipeg (Man.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 vol. (ca. 262 clippings, 20 photographs, 3 postcards, 2 prints, 1 drawing and various ephemera)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1874-)

Administrative history

The City of Winnipeg, Manitoba was created by Provincial statute in 1873. Its mandate was to govern and provide municipal services to citizens attracted to trade expansion between Upper and Lower Fort Garry and St. Paul, Minnesota. The City sprang from the Red River Settlement, an unincorporated village. Prior to creation of the Province of Manitoba in 1870, the area was administered by the Council of Assiniboia (1835-1870) and local community leaders, primarily Métis, who had camped within a fifty-mile radius of the junction of the Red and Assiniboine rivers since [1733]. Following the Dominion Government of Canada’s purchase of land from the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1869, the newly formed Province of Manitoba had jurisdiction over the area and began the process of municipal incorporation. Assiniboia had been created in circa 1812 by Lord Selkirk, who brought Scottish agricultural settlers to the area.

Since 1874, the City managed its affairs through various boards, commissions, and committees. Affiliations between 1881-1972 were thirteen suburban municipal Councils and, between 1960-1972, the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg (established to co-ordinate service delivery in the metropolitan region).

After 1972, when Chapter 105 of the Statutes of Manitoba came into force, the City of Winnipeg amalgamated with twelve area municipalities and the Metropolitan Corporation of Great Winnipeg into one city government.

The election of the first Council for the Unified City of Winnipeg was held on October 6, 1971 and the new City came into legal existence on January 1, 1972. The new unified City Council consisted of 50 Councillors elected on the basis of one from each of the 50 wards and a Mayor elected from the City-at-large. The Inaugural Meeting of the new Council took place on January 5, 1972.

Thirteen Community Committees were established under the Act; however, in 1974, on the recommendation of the Ward Boundaries Commission, the provincial government enacted legislation reducing the communities from thirteen to twelve while maintaining fifty wards. In 1977, further legislation reduced the communities to six and the wards to twenty-nine. Each had a Community Committee of Council and comprised the Councillors who represented the wards within each particular community.

In 1989, in accordance with the City of Winnipeg Act, a review of the boundaries of the City of Winnipeg was conducted and resulted in a number of changes to the community area boundaries and the number of wards for four of the communities. A subsequent review in 1991 resulted in further legislation passed in 1992, which reduced the communities to five and the wards to fifteen.

Further amendments were made to the City of Winnipeg Act in 1998. The powers of the mayor were increased and changes were made to the political decision-making structure.

In 2003, the City of Winnipeg Act was repealed and replaced with the City of Winnipeg Charter.

Custodial history

Scrapbook was transferred to City of Winnipeg Archives from Corporate Finance in 2008.

Scope and content

Forms part of Series 6. Subseries consists of a scrapbook assembled by the Water Works Department. It has three distinct parts ranging in subject matter and material.

First part of scrapbook, pages 21 to 103, contains newspaper clippings (1916-1918) primarily from the Winnipeg Free Press and the Winnipeg Tribune. Subject matter covered in clippings relates to the First World War, municipal government, city workers and labour, foreign politics and other contemporary events.

Second part of scrapbook, pages 136 to 144, contains newspaper clippings, postcards, and other prints (1921-1932) relating to the Water Works Department, its employees as well as other city workers and topics.

Third part of scrapbook, pages 145 to 152, contains newspaper clippings, photographs and various ephemera (ca. 1916-1931) that document various city employees most of whom served in the Water Works Department. It profiles the following people in various levels of detail: John Wilson (Meter Reader), Sidney Holloway (Accountant), John MacTavish, H. C. Thompson (City Treasurer), William Rutherford (Head Meter Reader), Frank Lee Hanson, Robert O. White, Herbert Gray (Alderman), James W. Swan, H. Yost, Alexander Dodds (Cashier), M. Henry, M. Craig, G. L. Jackson, J. Martin, H. B. Teasdale, J. Foster, L. E. Fenton, D. C. Montgomery, G. Goodman, M. Henderson, D. W. (Bud) Steuart (Clerk), Hilda V. Mansell, William J. Jones, Miss M. Shields, J. Olsen and more.

Loose newspaper clippings (1946-1947) appear at front of scrapbook.

Pages 1 to 20 are missing; pages 104 to 135 are blank.

Notes area

Physical condition

Deterioration of binding and spine; loose papers and items; at risk for information loss.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Extremely fragile: Call for appointment.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.

Finding aids

A list of photographs in the scrapbook is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Photograph of D. W. (Bud) Steuart (Clerk, Water Works Department) used in digital exhibit, Staff Favourites, 2014 Collection. Available online: winnipeg.ca/pathways.

General note

Prepared by SJR, 2015.

Conservation

Preliminary conservation measures taken. When possible, newspaper clippings were photocopied (newsprint culled in this case). Loose items placed in mylar sleeves. Further conservation treatment recommended.

Alternative identifier(s)

Legacy Reference Code

f0001-0006-0022

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

cowa

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres