Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1892 - 1971 (Creation)
- Winnipeg (Man.). Board of Parks and Recreation
Physical description area
3.5 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first public parks board for the City of Winnipeg was created in 1893 through By-Law No. 575, which adopted provisions in the Public Parks Act enacted by the Province of Manitoba in 1892. Membership of the Public Parks Board was prescribed in the legislation and initially included the mayor, six councillors and six citizen members. The Board met at least once a month. Circa the late 1940’s, the Public Parks Act was incorporated into the Municipal Act RSM as Chapter 141 Division III. An amendment to the Act dated April 20, 1951 resulted in a change of name: from Public Parks Board or Winnipeg Public Parks Board to Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation.
When first established, the Board was involved in acquiring land to create a system of urban parks throughout the City – including Assiniboine and Kildonan Parks. In addition to park development, the Board constructed and operated municipal golf courses and swimming pools, was involved in city beautification through tree planting and boulevard construction and maintenance, provided facilities for recreation, and managed the zoo and municipal cemeteries – including Brookside.
The Board had wide-ranging powers, including the ability to purchase property for park purposes and pass by-laws for the use, regulation, protection and governance of City parks. A committee structure was adopted to facilitate the work of the Board. In 1911, the Board passed By-Law No. 10 to regulate the proceedings and conduct of its committees and officers. Committees established by the Board reflected major responsibilities and initiatives. Periodically, special or sub-committees were formed to address specific issues. These were dissolved once the issue had been resolved. For most of its history, the Standing Committees of the Board were as follows:
Boulevards and Trees Committee
In 1964, following the transfer of golf courses and large urban parks to the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg, the City of Winnipeg held a referendum on the future of the Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation. The result of voting on City of Winnipeg By-Law 19003 was 15,144 for and 12,537 against the dissolution of the Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation. By-Law 19060 then established the Committee on Parks and Recreation, which took over all of the duties and responsibilities of the Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation effective January 1, 1965.
City Clerk's Department.
Scope and content
Forms part of Fonds 1. The Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation was responsible for managing all public parks located in the City of Winnipeg. The Board had the power to employ appropriate staff; pass by-laws regarding the use, protection and governance of City parks; assess and levy rates to cover costs for park improvements; and to acquire, expropriate and dispose of land for park purposes. The Board was required to keep records regarding its decisions and financial transactions.
The minutes, by-laws, communications and reports of the Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation trace the development of public park space in Winnipeg.
The records consist of five sub-series:
Sub-Series 10:Minutes, 1893-1964
Sub-Series 11:Minutes, Standing and Special Committees, 1893-1964
Sub-Series 12:Communications, 1901-1931. Bound Letter Press volumes and loose correspondence
Sub-Series 13: Reports, 1892-1971
Sub-Series 14:By-Laws, 1928-1963
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to these records. Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File List available in Research Room.
Generated finding aid
No further accruals are expected.
Related groups of records within the same fonds:
Committee on Parks and Recreation
Legacy Reference Code
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier