Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Affichage de 85 résultats

description archivistique
Railroads
Aperçu avant impression Hierarchy Affichage :

78 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

Waghorn's Guide map and street index

Waghorn's Guide - a small promotional pamphlet published by J.R. Waghorn in 1895. The pamphlet contains a street map of Winnipeg, a street index, and advertisements for various Winnipeg businesses including the Clarendon Hotel, the Redwood Brewery, and the Massey-Harris Company. The map shows the old City of Winnipeg from the Red River on the east to Waverly, Aubrey, and McPhillips Streets on the west, and from Athole Avenue (now Luxton Avenue) in the north to Parker Avenue in the south. Southern Elmwood, Old St. Boniface, and Norwood are also shown on the east side of the river. Railway lines are in black and electric street railway lines are in red.

Photographs

Forms part of Fonds 15. Series consists of photographs taken by GWWD employees during the building of the Greater Winnipeg Aqueduct that brings water from Shoal Lake to Winnipeg. Photos are made up of nitrate negatives and lantern slides.

Greater Winnipeg Water District

William Smaill Photo Album – Page 44

Captions read: Concrete train at mixer - Towing mixer with train, first move, mile 64 - Finished aqueduct, mile 64, first mile - Gravel platform, cement shed, mixer, and water tank, mile 64.

Smaill, William

William Smaill Photo Album – Page 49

Captions read: Jumbo[?], Indian Bay - Ruins of camp 1 built on Ontario gold concessions, Shoal Lake, 1896 - Jumbo - Teddy - Teddy, Whitemouth - Birch River railroad bridge - Chasing young ducks with launch, Shoal Lake.

Smaill, William

William Smaill Photo Album – Page 106

Captions read: Dyke - Blanchard's, Indian Bay - Indian Camp, Shoal Lake [Kekekoziibii Shoal Lake 40 First Nation] - Removing arch - Camp 5, mile 77 - Remains after oil House fire, camp 5, mile 77 - Excursion train, camp 6 -Tennis court, Indian Bay - Young wild ducks.

Smaill, William

William Smaill Photo Album

Item consists of a photo album created by William Smaill, Superintendent of the Winnipeg Aqueduct Construction Company, Ltd. The album contains photographs of the aqueduct’s construction, company men and their families, recreation, camps and homes used during construction, the Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway, and the surrounding landscape (Shoal Lake, Whitemouth River, Indian Bay, Birch River). There are also several photos of Winnipeg during Decoration Day 1914, photos of Mayors T.R. Deacon, Thomas Sharpe, and R.D. Waugh, and two photos of an Anishinaabe camp at Kekekoziibii Shoal Lake 40 First Nation.

The photos are heavily annotated. The annotations consist of names, locations, descriptions, and sometimes the section or specific mile of the aqueduct. A few photos appear to be missing and there are several loose pages with similar content. The photos are arranged somewhat chronologically – photos from 1914 generally precede photos from 1915 – but there are many exceptions.

Smaill, William

William Smaill Photo Album – Page 36

Captions read: Culvert, mile 77 - In muskeg, mile 58 - Ditch after heavy rain, mile 57 - Muskeg, mile 58 - Shaping bottom for inverts camp, mile 57.5.

Smaill, William

William Smaill Photo Album – Page 40

Captions read: Dump ready for track - Inside of Aqueduct, mile 65 - Handling pads - Concrete train camp 3, mile 65 - Moving inside forms - First arch poured, mile 64 - Traveler moving the outside forms - Ready for pouring invert.

Smaill, William

Résultats 1 à 20 sur 85