Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Showing 2 results

archival descriptions
Winnipeg (Man.) Cornerstones
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Public Safety Building Time Capsule

Series consists of the following: 1) copper time capsule with tin/lead solder 2) audio recording of the laying of the cornerstone ceremony held on November 30, 1965, 3) envelope submitted by the Police Department containing a list and photos of employees and a photo of the Rupert Avenue Police Station (now demolished), 4) envelope submitted by the Fire Department containing a list and photos of employees, cap badges, uniform buttons, and a procedure manual, 5) envelope submitted by the Signals Department containing a list of employees, 6) envelope submitted by the City Magistrate containing a list and photos of employees and court statistics from 1964.

Winnipeg (Man.)

Cornerstone Casket, 1884

Forms part of Fonds 1, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971): Series 83 consists of items contained in a casket prepared by City Council for placement in the cornerstone of the City's second city hall.

Shortly after Winnipeg's first city hall was demolished in 1883, City Council called for plans and specifications to construct a second city hall. The cornerstone for this new building was laid on July 20, 1884 by Mayor Logan, with speeches from Captain Scott, Aldermen Mulvey, Wilson and Drewry and American Consul James Wickes Taylor, among others. The casket from Winnipeg's first city hall was placed into the cornerstone for the new city hall, along with a second smaller casket which contained a number of civic publications, coins and photographs.

Affectionately known as the "Gingerbread" building, the second city hall served Winnipeg until it was demolished in 1962 to make way for construction of the new civic centre. Upon demolition, the caskets were removed and opened and the contents moved to a bank safety deposit box and then to the Archives.

Winnipeg (Man.)