Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Showing 5443 results

archival descriptions
Print preview Hierarchy View:

3230 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Cornerstone Casket, 1884

Forms part of Fonds 1, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971): Series 83 consists of items contained in a casket prepared by City Council for placement in the cornerstone of the City's second city hall.

Shortly after Winnipeg's first city hall was demolished in 1883, City Council called for plans and specifications to construct a second city hall. The cornerstone for this new building was laid on July 20, 1884 by Mayor Logan, with speeches from Captain Scott, Aldermen Mulvey, Wilson and Drewry and American Consul James Wickes Taylor, among others. The casket from Winnipeg's first city hall was placed into the cornerstone for the new city hall, along with a second smaller casket which contained a number of civic publications, coins and photographs.

Affectionately known as the "Gingerbread" building, the second city hall served Winnipeg until it was demolished in 1962 to make way for construction of the new civic centre. Upon demolition, the caskets were removed and opened and the contents moved to a bank safety deposit box and then to the Archives.

Winnipeg (Man.). City Council

Winnipeg Council Minutes - Volume 1 - part 2 (1875)

Last 384 pages of bound, handwritten volume of minutes of Winnipeg's City Council between January 11 and December 25, 1875. The minutes briefly recount the proceedings of meetings and are the official, legal record of decisions made by Council. Recorded decisions reveal municipal governance, resource allocation, and service delivery. Minutes also refer to topics debated, reports considered, by-laws introduced, communications received, decisions reached and votes taken during council meetings.

Individual minute passages are marked with numbers in the margins that correspond with a hand-written index.

Winnipeg (Man.). City Council

Minutes

Forms part of Series 1. Subseries consists of minutes for the Committee on Public Health and Welfare, a standing committee of Council. Committee responsibilities changed periodically over the years. As well, the name of the committee changed several times, and this is reflected in the minutes. Minutes typically follow a Council year, as standing committees were struck at the first meeting of each new Council.

1876-1878Board of Health
1879-1882Health, Relief and Cemetery Committee
1883-1886Committee on Health and Relief
1887-1905Health, Market and License Committee (sometimes Market, License and Health Committee)
1905-1908Public Health Committee
1909-1957Committee on Health
1958-1971Committee on Public Health and Welfare

Morris Block collection

  • c00004
  • Collection
  • 1876-1970

The collection consists of material relating to Winnipeg and includes vintage photographs of local businesses, buildings and civic government employees, works and operations; stereoscopic views published by the T. Eaton Co. Limited, the Keystone View Company and Underwood & Underwood, Publishers; postcards of Winnipeg published by Henry Kalen Ltd., and Alex Wilson Publications Limited; line drawings and sketches extracted from various publications; maps and plans of the City of Winnipeg; publications including telephone directories for the City of Winnipeg and Report on a Future Water Supply for the City of Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1897; ephemera including letterhead of local businesses, stock certificates, invoices, property tax receipts and statements, philatelic items (souvenir stamps created for civic events); miscellaneous artifacts including a souvenir ashtray, pin, sterling silver spoon, and coins.

Block, Morris

Minutes

Forms part of Series 181. Subseries consists of minutes and related reports for the Committee on Public Works and its predecessors for the years 1876-1971.

Winnipeg (Man.). Committee on Public Works

Upper Fort Garry

Photograph of Upper Fort Garry mounted on cardboard. The photo was taken in 1878, but it is unclear when this actual record was cretated.

Block, Morris

Special Committees, Minutes

Forms part of Fonds 1: Series consists of bound minute books for special committees struck by Council. The minute books are chronological and each one contains minutes for multiple special committees active during a given timeframe. In most volumes, a list of special committees and their respective page numbers are recorded on the first few pages of the volume. Not all special committees appear in volume listings and not all page references are complete. Most special committees have associated correspondence and working papers in addition to minutes. These records are separate from minutes. From about 1924 onward, special committees and their associated files were assigned an alpha-numeric code beginning with the letter "A".

Council established special committees to investigate and manage various projects, issues and questions placed before the City. Special committees were typically struck by a Council motion that outlined committee composition and responsibilities, and permanently adjourned once the issue had been resolved or referred to Council with a recommended course of action.

Winnipeg (Man.)

Main Street, looking north from Lombard

Photograph mounted on cardboard of Main Street looking north from Lombard Avenue. The front of the record is dated as 1882, but the reverse side gives the dates as 1879-1880. It is unclear whether either of these dates refer specifically to the photograph of the entierty of the record.

Block, Morris

Advisory and Planning Commission

Forms part of Fonds 12. The St. Boniface Advisory and Planning Commission, established as provided in Section 13 of the Town Planning Act, functioned from 1958 to 1971. The Commission was comprised of 7 members, 2 members from Council, and 5 citizens appointed by the Council. The Commission investigated and reported to Council on all matters related to the location and design of any public building, park, parkway, boulevard, street, land, playground, public grounds, housing scheme or other similar development, or any change thereto. In addition to its advisory duties, the Commission acted as a board of adjustment on zoning matters. The Commission’s recommendations were passed on to City Council for approval. In the vast majority of cases Council approved their recommendations.

The Commission was given free reign as to its rules of procedure and was expected to keep a record of its proceedings. The first secretary to the Commission from its inception in the fall of 1958 to the end of 1958 was the City Clerk, Maurice Prud’homme. On 3 December 1958, Fernand Marion was appointed secretary and served until the Commission disbanded in 1971 following the entry of St. Boniface into Unicity.

Series consists of case files arranged alphabetically by applicant name and administrative files including correspondence and minutes – minutes are incomplete.

St. Boniface (Man.)

By-laws

Forms part of Fonds 10. Series consists of all surviving by-laws for the Rural Municipality and City of St. Vital (1885-1971).* The earliest by-laws belong to the RM of St. Boniface, the predecessor and former name of St. Vital. By-laws passed by the Winnipeg Suburban Municipal Board, acting on behalf of St. Vital, appear from 1925 to 1927. Included in this series are schedules and other supporting documents as well as a set of indexes (1880-1971).

By-laws were pasted into volumes by the creator or attached to pages with tape or glue. By-laws often appear out of order as noted by the creator and, in a few instances, only copies are included. Series is arranged numerically (or chronologically by date of creation). All by-laws, except for those in volume 46, were kept in their original books.

*Includes by-laws 22 to 8738, not inclusive. Multiple by-laws, especially from 1885 to 1914, are missing. There is a significant jump in the numbering system from 2099 to 3000. For a more detailed description, see file list.

St. Vital (Man.)

Minutes

Forms part of Fonds 25. Series consists of all surviving minutes for the Council of the Rural Municipality of Assiniboia. Both regular and special meetings of Council are recorded, as well as minutes of standing or special committees. Included in this series are Notes from Council for the years 1904-1913 and Indexes for the years 1914, 1915, 1918 and 1919. Missing are minutes 1930-1931 and 1936.

Assiniboia (Man.)

A City at Leisure

Series consists of photographs collected by Catherine Macdonald and used to author the book, “A City at Leisure: An Illustrated History of Parks and Recreation Services in Winnipeg, 1893-1993”. The book was coordinated by the History and Archives subcommittee of the 100th Anniversary Committee of the Parks and Recreation Department to celebrate the department’s 100th anniversary. The subcommittee began its work in 1993 and the book was published in 1995. The photographs were reproduced from various sources including the Archives of Manitoba.

Results 81 to 100 of 5443