Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.
Print preview Close

Showing 5228 results

archival descriptions
English
Print preview Hierarchy View:

3022 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Letter from L. R. Bentley to Council regarding lease of Council Chamber

Letter to Council. Sender: L. R. Bentley . Subject: Lease of room for Council Chamber (advising the City that he will lease the room the Council is currently using as a Council Chamber, to them for a further year for a sum of $500.00 per annum). Referred to: Finance Committee. Action taken: offer accepted by the City at $450.00 per annum.

Winnipeg (Man.). City Council

Cornerstone Casket, 1884

Forms part of Fonds 1, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971): Series 83 consists of items contained in a casket prepared by City Council for placement in the cornerstone of the City's second city hall.

Shortly after Winnipeg's first city hall was demolished in 1883, City Council called for plans and specifications to construct a second city hall. The cornerstone for this new building was laid on July 20, 1884 by Mayor Logan, with speeches from Captain Scott, Aldermen Mulvey, Wilson and Drewry and American Consul James Wickes Taylor, among others. The casket from Winnipeg's first city hall was placed into the cornerstone for the new city hall, along with a second smaller casket which contained a number of civic publications, coins and photographs.

Affectionately known as the "Gingerbread" building, the second city hall served Winnipeg until it was demolished in 1962 to make way for construction of the new civic centre. Upon demolition, the caskets were removed and opened and the contents moved to a bank safety deposit box and then to the Archives.

Winnipeg (Man.). City Council

Results 61 to 80 of 5228