Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Showing 19 results

archival descriptions
Item Railroads
Print preview Hierarchy View:

18 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

William Smaill Photo Album

Item consists of a photo album created by William Smaill, Superintendent of the Winnipeg Aqueduct Construction Company, Ltd. The album contains photographs of the aqueduct’s construction, company men and their families, recreation, camps and homes used during construction, the Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway, and the surrounding landscape (Shoal Lake, Whitemouth River, Indian Bay, Birch River). There are also several photos of Winnipeg during Decoration Day 1914, photos of Mayors T.R. Deacon, Thomas Sharpe, and R.D. Waugh, and two photos of an Anishinaabe camp at Kekekoziibii Shoal Lake 40 First Nation.

The photos are heavily annotated. The annotations consist of names, locations, descriptions, and sometimes the section or specific mile of the aqueduct. A few photos appear to be missing and there are several loose pages with similar content. The photos are arranged somewhat chronologically – photos from 1914 generally precede photos from 1915 – but there are many exceptions.

Smaill, William

Waghorn's Guide map and street index

Waghorn's Guide - a small promotional pamphlet published by J.R. Waghorn in 1895. The pamphlet contains a street map of Winnipeg, a street index, and advertisements for various Winnipeg businesses including the Clarendon Hotel, the Redwood Brewery, and the Massey-Harris Company. The map shows the old City of Winnipeg from the Red River on the east to Waverly, Aubrey, and McPhillips Streets on the west, and from Athole Avenue (now Luxton Avenue) in the north to Parker Avenue in the south. Southern Elmwood, Old St. Boniface, and Norwood are also shown on the east side of the river. Railway lines are in black and electric street railway lines are in red.

Souvenir Programme of Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers meeting

A promotional souvenir programme of the 1926 union meeting of the Canadian Divisions of the International Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, held in Winnipeg on July 27-30, 1926. Booklet contains promotional information about and histories of the union, photographs of and statements made by union members and local politicians, and advertisements.

Winnipeg (Man.). Committee on Legislation and Reception

Pumping water on Robert Street

A photograph of a pipe pouring water onto tracks on Robert Street (Galt Avenue) during the 1950 flood. A pile of wood is along one side of the street. The Ogilvie Flour Mill can be seen in the background.

Harold K. White Studio

People walking across overpass

Photograph of people walking across the Nairn Overpass with snow on the ground below. The overpass is lined with flags. Photographed by Gunter A. Schoch, Landscape Architect for the Metro Parks and Protection Division.

Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg (Man.). Information Officer

Results 1 to 10 of 19