Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Affichage de 177 résultats

description archivistique
Série organique
Aperçu avant impression Hierarchy Affichage :

2 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

Council Communications

Forms part of Fonds 1. Series consists of all surviving correspondence directed toward the City Council of Winnipeg via the City Clerk, with the exception of those items of correspondence that were filed with other series at the time of creation and/or use. Correspondence dates from the first year of the City of Winnipeg's incorporation in 1874 until 1971.

Civic employees, citizens of Winnipeg, and any other persons interested in communicating with the municipal government of Winnipeg wrote to City Council on a wide variety of topics, including civic administration (e.g. by-laws, elections, etc.), local improvements and developments (e.g. sanitation, the water supply, schools, parks, streets, traffic, bridges, etc.), invitations to conventions and other events, legal disputes, and assessments and taxation, among other issues.

Originally all correspondence was enclosed in a City Clerk's cover page to form a packet, which was then assigned a number. The packet was then folded twice and placed in pack boxes in chronological order. The numbering scheme was started anew several times over the years.

Winnipeg (Man.). City Council

Cornerstone Casket, 1875

Forms part of Fonds 1, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971): Series 82 consists of items contained in a casket prepared by City Council for placement in the cornerstone of the City's first city hall.

Not long after incorporation, City Council proposed construction of a city hall. A site on Main Street between William and Market Avenues was selected. On August 17, 1875, the cornerstone of the new city hall was laid with Masonic honors by Grand Master the Rev. Dr. Clark and officers of the Grand Lodge. A civic holiday was declared to mark the occasion, and speeches were made by Chief Justice Wood, the Hon. R. S. Davis, Premier of Manitoba, and American Consul James Wickes Taylor. At the ceremony, a casket was deposited into the cornerstone ' the casket contained coins, bills, newspapers and photographs of the City. Today, such a box would be called a time capsule.

Completed in 1876 and formally opened on March 14 of that year, the first city hall suffered chronic structural problems. Repairs were attempted, but were not successful, and for some time, the building was propped up with wooden braces until it was finally judged unsound and demolished in 1883. At demolition, the casket was removed and eventually placed into the cornerstone of the second city hall. When this building was demolished in 1962, the caskets were moved to a bank safety deposit box and then to the Archives.

Winnipeg (Man.). City Council

Cornerstone Casket, 1884

Forms part of Fonds 1, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971): Series 83 consists of items contained in a casket prepared by City Council for placement in the cornerstone of the City's second city hall.

Shortly after Winnipeg's first city hall was demolished in 1883, City Council called for plans and specifications to construct a second city hall. The cornerstone for this new building was laid on July 20, 1884 by Mayor Logan, with speeches from Captain Scott, Aldermen Mulvey, Wilson and Drewry and American Consul James Wickes Taylor, among others. The casket from Winnipeg's first city hall was placed into the cornerstone for the new city hall, along with a second smaller casket which contained a number of civic publications, coins and photographs.

Affectionately known as the "Gingerbread" building, the second city hall served Winnipeg until it was demolished in 1962 to make way for construction of the new civic centre. Upon demolition, the caskets were removed and opened and the contents moved to a bank safety deposit box and then to the Archives.

Winnipeg (Man.). City Council

By-laws

Forms part of Fonds 1. Series consists of by-laws for the City of Winnipeg pre-unicity (1874-1971). By-laws are municipal laws that were passed or amended by City Council. By-laws relate to City land development, regulations, local improvements, street names/openings/closings, authorization of agreements, finance/taxation, governance/administration, and amendments to previous by-laws.

Original by-laws dating 1874-1971 exist in a set of trifolds and are numbered 1-19876. By-laws are numbered chronologically according to date created.

Winnipeg (Man.). City Council

Metro Council Communications

Forms part of Fonds 14. Series consists of correspondence, reports, memos, acts, photographs and various records generated or received by council. Files are organized alphabetically by an alpha-numeric filing code, with most records in each file organized in reverse-chronological order. Series documents activities related to assessment, personnel, finance, parks and protection, streets and transit, bridge construction and maintenance, water and waste, planning, general government, committees, municipalities, boards, legislation, property, events, by-law development and administration, and general research.

Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg (Man.)

Metro Comparative Research

Series consists of correspondence, reports, itineraries, and research concerning the study of municipal government in North America and England. This material includes research on Metropolitan Toronto that was compiled in the years leading up to the creation of the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg. Series documents communications between Metro and other Metropolitan governments (Toronto, Montreal, and Dade County, Florida), Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton, Greater London Council, and the Corporation of the City of London, England. The governance, administration and public perceptions of these municipalities are recorded as well.

Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg (Man.)

Metropolitan Corporation Photographs and Materials

Series consists of photographs created, commissioned, or otherwise collected by the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg for promotional and internal use, as well as some accompanying textual material. Photographs are primarily prints, but also include negatives and slides. Photographs consist largely of Winnipeg parks, streets, bridges, city employees, Metro Councilors and Administration. Most promotional photographs have cut lines or captions provided for publication purposes.

A very small number of photographs were taken before and after the Metropolitan Corporation era (1960-1971). The older photographs were gathered for promotional purposes and the more recent photographs were likely added by the Information Services section.

Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg (Man.). Information Officer

Metro Michener Commission

The Royal Commission on Local Government Organization and Finance, or the Michener Commission, was appointed on February 13, 1963 by Order-in-Council No. 183/63. The Commission was tasked with studying and reporting on the powers, functions and responsibilities of different levels of local government, their organization, financial structure, system of taxation and relationship to the provincial government.

Series consists of briefs, reports, and correspondence produced throughout the Michener Commission, or the Manitoba Royal Commission on Local Government Organization and Finance and created or received by Metro.

Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg (Man.)

Metro Manitoba Hospital Commission

Series consists of correspondence, inter-departmental memos, plans, reports, research, proposals, and briefs related to Metro’s regarding Metro’s relationship with the Manitoba Hospital Commission. Records document problems facing Metro area hospitals, such as financial strain and bed shortages, as well as Metro’s provision of grants for hospital projects and capital costs.

Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg (Man.)

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 177