Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Showing 260 results

archival descriptions
St. Boniface (Man.)
Print preview Hierarchy View:

28 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Advisory and Planning Commission

Forms part of Fonds 12. The St. Boniface Advisory and Planning Commission, established as provided in Section 13 of the Town Planning Act, functioned from 1958 to 1971. The Commission was comprised of 7 members, 2 members from Council, and 5 citizens appointed by the Council. The Commission investigated and reported to Council on all matters related to the location and design of any public building, park, parkway, boulevard, street, land, playground, public grounds, housing scheme or other similar development, or any change thereto. In addition to its advisory duties, the Commission acted as a board of adjustment on zoning matters. The Commission’s recommendations were passed on to City Council for approval. In the vast majority of cases Council approved their recommendations.

The Commission was given free reign as to its rules of procedure and was expected to keep a record of its proceedings. The first secretary to the Commission from its inception in the fall of 1958 to the end of 1958 was the City Clerk, Maurice Prud’homme. On 3 December 1958, Fernand Marion was appointed secretary and served until the Commission disbanded in 1971 following the entry of St. Boniface into Unicity.

Series consists of case files arranged alphabetically by applicant name and administrative files including correspondence and minutes – minutes are incomplete.

St. Boniface (Man.)

Minutes

Forms part of Fonds 12. Series consists of minutes for the Council of the Municipalite de St-Boniface, the Town of St. Boniface and the Ville de St-Boniface and/or City of St. Boniface. In addition to Council business, the minutes contain minutes and/or reports of committees created by Council (i.e. Committee on City Property, Finance Committee, Wood Purchasing Committee, Health and License Committee, Fire Committee, etc.).

The minutes begin in 1880 when St. Boniface was incorporated as a municipality. In 1893, St. Boniface was reclassified as a town and the minutes refer to the Ville de St-Boniface. Following incorporation as a City in 1908, the minutes continue to reference the Ville de St-Boniface in French and later the City of St. Boniface in English. Minutes are recorded in French until 1907. In 1908, minutes appear to have been recorded in French, with an English translation. Eventually, the French version contained very little French, with the bulk of minutes recorded in English even though a second copy was designated as the English Version. Both versions were retained.

In 1917, a monthly alphabetical index preceded the minutes for each month. The practice continued until 1932. In 1932, separate index volumes were created with subject matter organized alphabetically and page numbers provided for associated minutes numbers (minutes are first numbered in 1932).

Most of the minutes and indexes were originally filed in large binders. Where possible, they have been removed from bindings and rehoused in file folders to facilitate access. Council Minutes were filed chronologically and this arrangement has been maintained. The series is complete.

St. Boniface (Man.)

City of St. Boniface

  • f00012
  • Fonds
  • 1880-1971

The records consist of the following series:

Series 40: Minutes, 1880-1971

Series 84: By-Laws,

Series 41: (Voters Lists) Election Records,

Series 47: Agreements, 1883-1971

Series 48: Advisory and Planning Commission, 1954-1971

Series 49: Public Works, 1933-1968

Series 50: Local Improvements, 1934-1971

Series 51: City Solicitor, 1917-1971

Series 56: Library Board, 1951-1971

St. Boniface (Man.)

Results 1 to 10 of 260