Winnipeg in Focus is a database for archival descriptions and digital collections at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Showing 4403 results

archival descriptions
Print preview Hierarchy View:

2684 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Robert Dewar, Contractor

Photograph of Robert Dewar, the contractor for the construction of Winnipeg's second City Hall, completed in 1886. Photograph was taken by Israel Bennetto and placed in the building's cornerstone.

Bennetto, Israel

A.E. Ferte, City Assessor

Photograph of A. E. Ferte, City Assessor and Secretary-Treasurer of the Sinking Fund Trustees. Photograph was taken by Israel Bennetto and placed in the cornerstone of Winnipeg's second City Hall, completed in 1886.

Bennetto, Israel

Cornerstone Casket, 1884

Forms part of Fonds 1, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971): Series 83 consists of items contained in a casket prepared by City Council for placement in the cornerstone of the City's second city hall.

Shortly after Winnipeg's first city hall was demolished in 1883, City Council called for plans and specifications to construct a second city hall. The cornerstone for this new building was laid on July 20, 1884 by Mayor Logan, with speeches from Captain Scott, Aldermen Mulvey, Wilson and Drewry and American Consul James Wickes Taylor, among others. The casket from Winnipeg's first city hall was placed into the cornerstone for the new city hall, along with a second smaller casket which contained a number of civic publications, coins and photographs.

Affectionately known as the "Gingerbread" building, the second city hall served Winnipeg until it was demolished in 1962 to make way for construction of the new civic centre. Upon demolition, the caskets were removed and opened and the contents moved to a bank safety deposit box and then to the Archives.

Winnipeg (Man.)

Results 1 to 10 of 4403