Series 195 - Minutes

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Minutes

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

CA COWA 11-195

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1912-1971 (Creation)
    Creator
    Transcona (Man.)

Physical description area

Physical description

63 volumes

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1912-1971)

Administrative history

The Town of Transcona, Manitoba was founded in 1912, was granted a City Charter in 1961 and was dissolved in 1972 when it joined eleven other municipalities in amalgamation with the City of Winnipeg. Its mandate was to provide municipal services, primarily to immigrants attracted by employment opportunities following the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway (1907) and the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway shops (1908). It’s immediate predecessor was a Board of Trade, set up in 1911 to govern the growing settlement. Prior to creation of the Province of Manitoba in 1870, the area was administered by the Council of Assiniboia (1835-1870). Following the Dominion Government of Canada’s purchase of land from the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1869, the newly formed Province of Manitoba had jurisdiction over the area and began the process of municipal incorporation. In 1921, Transcona declared bankruptcy and the area was administred by the Manitoba government until 1928. The name “Transcona” is derived from the National Transcontinental Railway and continues today as an electoral ward within the City of Winnipeg.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Forms part of Fonds 11. Series consists of minutes for the Council of the Town and City of Transcona. Both regular and special meetings of Council are recorded, as well as recommendations and/or minutes of the Transcona Relief, Parks Board, Finance, Public Works, Water and Light, Police, Fire, Health, Licenses, Legislation and Reception, Transcona Community Committee and Residents Advisory Group. Indexes exist for some Minute volumes.

Notes area

Physical condition

Physical condition of volumes ranges from poor to good.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Indexes for minutes 1961-1971 appear at the beginning of series, followed by minute books. Series is arranged chronologically.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Microfilmed copies of Council minutes are available for use at the City of Winnipeg Archives.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access to these records.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

COWA

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres