Fonds 10 - City of St. Vital fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

City of St. Vital fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA COWA 10

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1880-1974, 1978 ; predominant 1950-1971 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Vital (Man.)

Physical description area

Physical description

47.495 m. Textual Records
Architectural Drawings
Technical Drawings
Cartographic Materials
Graphic Materials
34 Photographs
10 Negatives

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1880-1971)

Administrative history

The Rural Municipality and City of St. Vital dates to 1880 when the RM of St. Boniface was incorporated. After the Town of St. Boniface was formed in 1883, the RM of St. Boniface continued to operate as its own government and in 1903 changed its name to St. Vital to avoid confusion. The name likely derives from one of the earliest schools in the area built by Bishop Taché and named after his coadjutor Bishop Vital Grandin. The municipality experienced a series of boundary changes beginning in 1891 when it was reduced to the east and extended in the west and south. Further alterations were made in 1912 when the community on the west side of the Red River separated to form the RM of Fort Garry, and then in 1914, when a large tract of land was annexed to the City of St. Boniface and land annexed from the RM of Ritchot. It was bounded on the west and east by the Red and Seine Rivers, Carriere Avenue on the north and Grande Pointe on the south. It included parts of the Parishes of St. Boniface, St. Vital, and St. Norbert. In 1960, St. Vital became part of the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg. With the passing of An Act to provide a Charter for the City of St. Vital, it achieved city status on June 9, 1962.

Councils consisted of a Reeve or Mayor and, in most instances, six councillors. The municipality derived authority from provincial legislation and was subject to the provisions of The Municipal Act, The Metropolitan Winnipeg Act and The Greater Winnipeg Gas Distribution Act. It briefly lost its mandate to govern between 1925 and 1927 when the Winnipeg Suburban Municipal Board stepped in due to financial difficulties. Standing committees and delegations changed from year to year in response to municipal growth. Council members notably participated in the St. Vital Advisory Planning Commission, St. Vital Library Board, and St. Vital Parks Board. Departments within the municipality included Administration, Public Works, Police and Fire. In 1952, Police and Fire went from being one department into two. Shortly after St. Vital became a city in 1962, the position of Secretary-Treasurer was split into City Clerk and City Treasurer.

The City of St. Vital ceased to exist in 1972, when Chapter 105 of the Statutes of Manitoba came into force unifying twelve area municipalities and the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg into one city government. Following amalgamation, the Community of St. Vital was created as part of the new municipal structure.

Custodial history

Records were transferred to the City of Winnipeg between 1978 and 1995.

Scope and content

The records consist of 16 series:

Series 14: Election Records, 1952, 1961-1971, 1974

Series 25: Minutes, 1909-1911, 1921-1971

Series 105: By-laws, 1880-1971

Series 106: Agreements and Early Documents, 1911-1971, 1973

Series 107: Valuation Forms, 1924-1957

Series 108: Subject Files, 1919-1972 (Access Restrictions)

Series 109: Departmental Files, 1943-1972 (Access Restrictions)

Series 110: Local Improvement Files, 1927-1972

Series 111: Municipal Solicitor Files, 1916, 1920-1972 (Access Restrictions)

Series 112: Advisory Planning Commission Files, 1952-1961

Series 113: Parks Board Files, 1949-1973

Series 114: General Correspondence, 1967-1971 (Access Restrictions)

Series 115: General Files, 1913-1968 (Access Restrictions)

Series 116: Financial Records, 1887-1971

Series 117: City Treasurer Files, 1961-1974, 1978 (Access Restrictions)

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English
  • French

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are restrictions on access to some of these records. Access restrictions are identified in Series descriptions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.

Finding aids

A file list is available in the Archives Research Room.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres